Use the archive on the right to view older posts.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Return to the Turtle Mountains - "a screeching bush"

We reached the Turtle Mountains late in the afternoon.
In the distance shadows were moving toward the collapsed remains of the Lost Arch Inn as we drove to our objective.
Several years before I had noticed a grave marked on a topo map 1/2 mile from the Inn and decided to investigate on this trip. We found a mound of rocks about six feet long but no marker.
We drove into the sunset on the way to our campsite.
Evening in the Turtle Mountains.
After a late breakfast we hiked an old road into wilderness.
Soon there was evidence that the area had been trammeled by man.
We found several vehicles. This was the most interesting.
Cabin foundation.
A path led to the outhouse which was intact although reclined.
Curious machine. Maybe a home-brew dry washer.
After giving much thought to the history and forgotten stories of the old camp we hiked cross-country back to the truck.
We ate a late lunch serenaded by a screeching bush that had somehow managed to position a broken branch perfectly behind a BLM road sign that was moving with the wind. What kind of serendipity was at play to make this happen?
After lunch we drove about five miles West and reestablished our camp. Sunset was cloudy.
It was a windy morning with a gray sky.
Once again we were hiking on a perfectly good road into wilderness.
Bosco led the way as we began our hike deep into the Turtle Mountains.
We passed by many old claim markers
and unique pieces of
mining history alongside the road.
The road continued South.
Ocotillo were green with new leaves.
View from inside.
Many old campsites were discovered along the road.
And the road continued South.
Then turned East toward Umpah and Mopah.  A view of the Turtle Mountains that few people get to see.
And then South again passing more campsites along the road. This area must have been a wonderful place to explore and camp before the roads were closed by the Desert Protection Act of 1994.
45 minutes later we reached our objective.
This old Packard
marked the destination of our hike.
Herbert Pulver owned a Packard Automobile dealership in Santa Monica in the 1930's.
We found the outline of a cabin with rocks set in cement and several hardened bags of cement.
After lunch and rest it was time to hike back to the truck.
Photograph of a photographer taking a photograph.
Our route took us through several washes as we retraced our tracks.
We reached camp about two hours after sunset.
Later in the morning more than a dozen
helicopters flew over our location headed East.
We left the Turtle Mountains behind.
More helicopters flew East over the desert.
We visited
several old cabins
on our return to I-40.

No comments:

Post a Comment